Sunday, February 6, 2011

CALIFORNIA IS NOT FOR WIMPS!

Jesse V has nothing on Bill and me in the shock and awe department. To our amazement, we turned out to be absolute wimps about the cold, cranking up the apt. thermostat to over 70 during the day and huddling under large comforters at night. I had to apologize to Fr and Fl last night for making fun of their complaints every time the temp has gone below 60 out here.

It's COLD, even inside. I blame it on construction--single pane glass, little insulation, and heat systems that pour their product from ceiling height, (and what's THAT about anyway?)

I peeked out the window at 7 am yesterday morning, my feet icy after only 30 seconds on the ground, and observed people walking on the shoreline sidewalk in shorts and tank tops. It was so shocking I had to climb back in bed to consider the madness and warm up again.

Bill (always prepared despite his Widji snootiness about the Boy Scouts) brought polar fleece jackets and warm shirts, but the heaviest thing in my suitcase was a denim jacket. I pine for my new Wintersilks long underwear, wasting away in my drawer back in Shoreview.

But enough. It is warming steadily and we should hit 70 by today and definitely if we drive a mile inland.

We are very near the beaches in La Jolla where the seals gather and can hear the waves and see the ocean from our windows--it's green, flowers are blooming, the sun is shining, and there is not one single speck of ice or snow anywhere. Imagine such a land.

So far we have grocery shopped, (BTW, the prepared hot food bar at Whole Foods at Univ. Town Center rocks!) picked up G & T at school and transported to volleyball practice, scoped out the area and Bill finished "The Girl Who Played With Fire," which I observed to be truly addictive and am therefore avoiding. We shall undoubtedly have to go today to get the 3rd book.

I, who had planned to trade in my old cell for a smart phone while we were here, am now having doubts due to the reading of "The Winter of Our Disconnect" about an Aussie family who give up all electronics for 6 months.  If only she hadn't done her research so well... and that's all I'm going to say as I don't want you throwing it back in my face if I go ahead with it and become a texting, email-reading-fiend on the run. (No snide comments allowed here about my online posts at 3AM.)

We have lists of museums, attractions and etc to visit and eventually I shall have something to report. Until then......