Thursday, March 10, 2011

CURB CUTS? I'LL SEE YOUR CURB-CUTS & RAISE YOU 55 STAIRS!

One of my online friends has posted phenomenally entertaining videos containing, in part, the lack of curb cuts on New York City streets. His wry comments have made this site one of my favorite blogs to recommend, (wheelchairkamikaze.com).  But Marc, today we went like lambs to the slaughter at the Presidio in San Diego.                                                                                                                              
Sure, we check it out from the parking lot - no problem:  lovely, easy-grade walk up to the building.  See nice hedges; envision low-grade ramp behind them.
Haul Scooter out of trunk; put together; wheel at top speed of 4 mph across dangerous street where crosswalk is right on blind curve.  Bill stands up to full height to attract attention, should car come whizzing through.  Make it safely across; navigate over missing bricks on path. About halfway, notice steps.  Both stop. Put four eyeballs on situation.  "Probably a ramp from there," I state and keep rolling.                                                                                                                                  
Proceed to end of lovely path.  Hmmmmm...Lots of steps, no ramp!
Bill sprints up to scope out situation.  I say...no problem (and besides, trip to ladies room now of immediate importance.)  Park scooter at bottom, begin hauling self up steps using ever-loyal Leki cane.

First landing--Bill emerges from museum to cheer me on.  Disappears to inquire as to location of women's facilities.  
Oops.....More Steps.   
Reach landing at top of 2nd set of stairs.  Bill stomps back to me, waving hands--grumping, "No good, no good -- the restroom isn't working."                                                                                                                                                                            "Yikes, really?" I say--"I just saw someone come from the men's room down there."  Picture Bill standing guard for me outside men's room door. 
Bill tries door.  Locked.


"Nah, they told me none of the restrooms were working," says he. "And never mind anyway. Once you get to the end of this 100' walk, there are 15 more steps down into the museum."  
(Believe me, I could have made it if the plumbing had been working!)                                                                                                                                                             Bill takes quick look around at my insistence, while I hang out on very pretty, shaded landing.
me & my Leki
Bill takes wrong turn in museum and appears behind bars.  Definite photo-op
Bill finds way out; we then descend to Old Town and take in all the little shops and museum buildings. 
Thus endeth the Presidio adventure.                                                                                                                                                                 
What a lovely, warm day!  What a nice lunch in Old Town! What a wonderful working bathroom there!  What will I remember to check ahead on next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment