Thursday, May 26, 2011

FIVE MONTH UPDATE ON CCSVI




MONTHS!


Thank goodness for the postings of a number of bloggers who talked about having had no results from their venoplasty for CCSVI.  Because of them, I went to my procedure with eyes wide open and with the attitude that I would be OK with it however it came out. I just had to know. The money was spent the minute I made that decision and I really had nothing to lose from that point on.                                                                                                                       
It can certainly be disheartening to have no results; mine have been minor enough to cause me to wonder if they are just my imagination. I have no regrets, however and I feel like a pioneer, having been part of the early research. It's a lot of money, yes, but I was spending it to make sure I hadn't just ignored something that I would regret the rest of my life. I might still get some back from insurance and that would definitely be a good thing.                                                                                                                           
Because I am now five months past the procedure, I'm going to use this post to update you, and myself, on what has happened.                                                                                                                                                            
Within 36 hours of the procedure, I realized that 95% of the pretty awful shoulder and neck pain I had been fighting for over two years was gone.  I could feel carpet under my feet. My face and scalp were far less numb.                                                                                
Within a week, most of those symptoms had returned except the neck and shoulder pain  - not a great result, but within a month, I was realizing that I could read difficult reports and understand them again. I never thought I had brain fog, but I have to admit that I would just throw my hands up in defeat over those reports and quit--not a good idea for someone with MS who is trying to keep up with various treatments and alternatives!                                                                                                                                                                                                         
At the five month mark, I can still read the reports, I still have much-reduced shoulder and neck pain and I've actually bettered my walking time a fraction on the CCSVI-Tracker site. I now can stand, walk around an object 3 meters away, return and sit in 17 seconds.  Just 3 months ago that was 24+ seconds.  I thought it was a fluke but it happened again this month. Some of the uninitiated will pause at my pride over a 7 second improvement but hey, that's almost 30% better!                                                                                                                                                                                             
I do feel stronger. I can't measure that, but I seem to last longer, feel sharper and more confident in my walking. At the moment my face is again less numb but it does come and go. Nothing else has changed. I still have foot drop, I still have numb toes, I still walk with a cane and use a scooter frequently, but about the venoplasty?  I still have absolutely no regrets. 

No comments:

Post a Comment