Friday, May 13, 2011

WARNING--CHEERFUL THOUGHTS AHEAD!


My advice to other disabled people would be, concentrate on things your disability doesn’t prevent you doing well, and don’t regret the things it interferes with. Don’t be disabled in spirit, as well as physically.
Dr Stephen Hawking

That reply says a lot and I think that [last] sentence says it all for me. I found the whole story very inspirational. When I think of Stephen Hawking, I think quantum physics before I think ALS.
an online MS friend                                                                                                                                                                           
There have been times in my life when I was physically in good shape but so negative, so mentally distressed, that a cloud of gloom surrounded me wherever I went, like Joe Btfsplk in the old L'il Abner cartoons. I always had something critical to say and there was almost no enjoyment, no happiness for me anywhere. I did function: I worked, I raised kids, I had friends; I was just one sad puppy.

It took a couple of years but slowly, slowly I dragged myself towards being more positive. I remember that I could look back every 6 months or a year and say, "hmm...now I'm only negative 50% of the time;" or "wow, this time last year I was so much worse."  It was a big deal to me when I realized I was upbeat about 80% of the time.

It was a hard won change and I keep an eye on myself all the time now, to keep from slipping back. If I'd have to pick--not that I think I should have to--but if I did, I'd pick losing function physically to losing the fun and joy.  What good is running and jumping if I'm miserable all the time anyway.

Someone once pointed out that negativity bounces off positive people but sticks to negative people. She said that if someone makes a negative statement in a room full of positive people, it bounces around and comes right back to the originator, making her even worse.  I have to admit, it was no good being around cheerful people in those days; the more I grumbled the worse I felt--probably because they weren't taking any of it on and it was glomming right back onto me every time I opened my mouth to gripe.

Speaking of Dr. Hawking, wouldn't it be interesting if all this turns out to have something to do with physics and has a real scientific basis. Positive and negative particles finding their natural path or black holes that act according to the set of our minds on any given day. And Hawking is just the uniquely qualified guy to spot it.                                                                                                                                    
here's a link to the entire article on Hawking
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/10/science/10hawking.html?_r=1&WT.mc_id=GN-D-I-NYT-MOD-MOD-M201-ROS-0511-HDR&WT.mc_ev=click                                                                      

2 comments:

  1. Daphane,
    Nice post! I was blessed with a positive nature. Even with this gift it's taken me 15 years to deal! But a positive nature really helps!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. That first quote by Stephen Hawking really shook me up. He is speaking the truth with that statement.

    ReplyDelete