Sunday, June 26, 2011

CHANGE!

I saw a feed on another blog: What Does MS Mean to You?  A banner kept rolling by: Invisible......Dreams Lost......Thief......(those just don't apply to me)....Change....that one did though, and thinking about it triggered these additions:                                                                                                                                                                                    
New Friends......Leave Extra Time to Get There! ......Keeping Up -- Research & Technology........Deciding What's Really Important.......                                                                                                                                                                                                  Each phrase I added is is a big plus to my life.  Who doesn't enjoy new friends? The MS Community is just amazing.  We run the gamut from fascinating to everyday, from brilliant to ordinary, and from passionate to patient. Interestingly, every single one of those traits is present in every single one of my new online friends. Just wait for it.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              I love it all.  I love to see a buddy's brain power running full out and I also respond to the everyday happenings of someone's life.  I could kiss them when they post a complicated medical report and make it easy to understand.  When someone has family problems or is just a little blue or a lot grumpy, I take comfort because -- well, me too.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         I would never claim to be a Techie, but with the online community so active, I've had to learn all the new stuff to keep up.  All right, all right, I'm still not texting but that's a social protest statement.  I mastered error messages in my Windows Updater, moving files from one drive to another and streaming movies via my Wii--now I think I can do anything.                                                                                                                             
Then there is Time:  I have screamed into appointments and meetings just under the wire all my life. I must have liked the adrenaline rush because this never improved at all until MS slowed me down.  It is amazing how much less stressful it is to give myself more time and what a great thing it is to arrive early.  Honestly, I had no idea how much better life is when you are not running frantic.                                                                                                                                                                              I check the number 9 - Very Good - for Quality of Life at CCSVI Tracking  www.ccsvi-tracking.com  only because it specifies that a 10 means "Perfect, no MS Symptoms," but I protest!  I really have an excellent life. My dragging foot and numb fingers are not any more troublesome than than my previous need for speed or how I sat in judgement on someone who didn't do things my way.                                                                                                                                            
 If you think walking with a cane is pesky--stand that next to a self-imposed requirement to be perfect all the time.  When I get irritated because someone is holding the door open for me when I'm still 100' away I try to remember what it felt like to never be able to accept help of any kind, ever!  I'd rather thump and wobble my way across a parking lot under the eyes of a stranger than be that isolated, ivory tower woman from my past.                                                                                                                                                                       
I used to sneer when someone recited the platitude, "a door never closes without a window opening somewhere," usually launching into a five minute riff about the mindless simps who blathered it.  It's a good thing I've learned to laugh at being wrong, because transport forward to 2011 ... Well dang it all, if it isn't true!

No comments:

Post a Comment